Enjoy better understanding of locks and keys with the answers to our frequently asked questions here. We hope you find this section helpful.
If you have additional questions or seek immediate car, motorcycle, home, or commercial assistance, contact HOU Locksmith today.
1. Why should I work with HOU Locksmith?
We have a team of skilled, professional locksmiths who are experienced and knowledgeable in lock, safe, and security problems.
We also believe in offering you a free professional quote right at the beginning with no hidden charges. By providing upfront information and pricing and superior locksmith services, we always strive for 100% customer satisfaction.
2. What are you specialized in?
At HOU Locksmith, we specialize in residential, automotive, and commercial locksmith services.
Specifically, we handle car key replacement, repairing ignition switches, getting you back inside your car or home when you are locked out, locks changes, locks re-keying, and lock and keyless entry installation.
3. How do I know HOU Locksmith is a reputable company?
We are fully trained, licensed, and registered with department of public security in the state of Texas. Click here to view our license details.
4. How much do your services cost?
The cost of our locksmith services varies depending on the task being undertaken. I give upfront prices over the phone, so there is never any gimmicks or surprises on-site. Contact us today for a free estimate.
5. Why don’t you list your prices online?
Every job is different. Therefore, we don’t list our prices online. We always aim to give a accurate, flat estimate to our clients and absolutely never add on any hidden costs.
6. I have a key marked “Do Not Duplicate.” Can I get a copy of it anyway?
Keys marked “Do Not Duplicate,” “Do Not Copy,” or “Prohibited To Copy” may be duplicated only if a letter of authorization from the owner or supervisor is presented with the request for duplication.
The letter should be on company letterhead and identify the following:
- Key(s) to be made
- Number of keys requested
- Name and contact information of the person picking up the keys
- Name and phone number of the person writing the letter
The person picking up the keys will also be required to fill out a “Request for Restricted Keys” form. We reserve the right to refuse to duplicate any key marked “Do Not Duplicate.”
7. Are you open during the holidays?
Our locksmiths are available 365 days a year, including Christmas Day, New Year’s Day, and Easter Sunday.
Our regular work hours are 8:00AM to 8:00PM, Monday to Saturdays. However, we provide 24/7 lockout services throughout the greater Houston area.
8. What type of locks can you repair/replace?
Our fully-trained and qualified locksmiths have experience installing, repairing, and replacing all types of locks, including (but not limited to) dead locks, sash locks, pad locks, digital locks, and more.
Simply put, we work with all residential locks, about 90% of cars and motorcycles, and a majority of commercial brand names for heavy duty and institutional grade hardware (which is up to state and federal laws for any type of a project and any size of capacity and purpose of a building).
9. Do you provide lockout assistance?
Yes! Getting locked out of your home, workplace, or car is no fun. That’s why we offer 24-hour emergency lockout services throughout Houston.
In most instances, our locksmiths can provide damage-free entry to locked properties and vehicles. Our main office hours are open 8:00AM to 8:00PM, Mondays to Saturdays. Call us today for immediate help.
10. Do you provide auto locksmith services?
Yes! Our expert locksmiths are well-versed when it comes to vehicle locks and keys. We offer the following automotive locksmith services:
• Repairing car door locks of any make and model
• Ignition repair and replacement
• Re-keying, including transponder keys
• Key programming of almost any make and model after 1998
• Emergency car lockout service – without any damage – simply picking the lock without use of air wedges or metal rods
• Fixing trunk locks
11. Do you service commercial locks?
Yes! We have technicians specialized in commercial locksmith services. Our professionals are able to change, open, re-key, and repair commercial locks. Push bars, keypads, smart keys, and much more.
12. Do you provide same day locksmith services?
Yes! We offer 24-hour emergency locksmith services. Even if you do not require emergency assistance, we can still visit you the same day to provide the locksmith service you’re looking for.
13. When is it recommended to have my locks changed?
Locks are very important for your security. Therefore, we always advise having locks changed when:
- There has been a break-in
- You lose your keys
- The lock doesn’t function properly with your key
- The lock is rusty or damaged
Hardware needs to be changed when:
- There was an attempt of a “forced entry”
- There is heavy cosmetic damage
- The lock is not fully operational
- Parts came out
- Doors can’t lock anymore due to repeating malfunction of the lock mechanism
Even if there are no keys at all and you still want to use that lock, we can create keys from scratch as well.
14. What should I do if I lost my commercial or residential keys? Duplicate or lock change?
Duplicate copies cannot be made without an original key or an already made copy of the original. Therefore, duplicates cannot be made.
When the situation occurs where you lose your keys, we suggest having your locks changed. Re-keying will provide you with a new set of keys and it will cancel any old operating keys.
It’s highly recommended that you have your locks changed or re-keyed by a professional as soon as possible. This is for improved security and peace of mind.
15. How long does it take for a locksmith to get me back into my house?
Once the technician has arrived at your location, it typically takes between 10-20 minutes. But times can vary depending on the type of lock.
16. Is it possible to get car key replacements the same day without an appointment?
Yes! We offer an emergency automotive locksmith services throughout Houston. We are prepared for any situation relating to car keys and ignitions.
We can come to you immediately and get your keys replaced on the spot as well as get you safely back on the road. Keys can be cut or programmed for your car, truck, motorcycle or SUV.
17. How long does it take to get a car key replacement?
Depending on the vehicle, it takes between 45 minutes to 1 hour for you to get a brand new car key in hand.
18. Can any type of lock be picked?
Not all locks are pickable. It depends if the lock is high-security or heavily damaged. Therefore, other methods would be used to get inside.
Drilling with be the alternative approach to bypass the lock or force entry, In some cases, cutting with a dermal or a grinder might be used when dealing with special pad locks on gates and storage units.
19. How long does it usually take to get back in my car?
Once the technician has arrived to your vehicle, a car lockout service typically takes between 20 to 25 minutes.
20. What if I lost my car key and I don’t have a spare?
Our professional technician can make you a brand new key by ordering a new code that matches to your vehicle and then programming it, so you are able to start the vehicle.
As of the start of 2019, we now offer new keys and fobs for Mercedes Benz and BMW vehicles. Call HOU Locksmith today for a free over-the-phone estimate.
21. What form of payments do you accept?
We accept cash and major credit or debit card: American Express, Master Card, Visa Card, and Discovery.
You can also pay for your service through PayPal, Venmo, Cash App, and Zelle.
22. Do you accept checks?
We only accept commercial checks. We do not accept personal checks.
23. What areas do you service?
We serve anywhere across Houston and the surrounding areas, including Fort Bend County, Harris County, Missouri City, Katy, Sugarland, and all points in-between.
24. How can I contact you?
We are open Mondays through Saturdays, 8:00AM to 8:00PM. We also offer 24/7 emergency lockout services.